Real estate titles have a lot of behind the scenes work that require investigation from multiple sources. This client had an innovative but difficult to use system for capturing and reviewing all information for title exams from different sources to create a property report. They wanted to create a seamless experience of entering the information into their system that satisfied the business and user needs for the various stages of the process. They wanted this software and process to become the industry standard.
To understand this complex space, multiple stakeholder interview sessions were performed to comprehend the needs of the software. Once accomplished, we performed a series of workshops to understand the desired functionality of the product. A critical workshop used the exercise “remember the future.” For this, we had the stakeholders envision what they wanted the product to be in 5 years.
By pretending it’s 5 years in the future, we “remembered” product features that had made the software successful. The goal was to understand everyone’s vision of the process, and see what we could accomplish to get there.
Laying out the features on a timeline of when they could be implemented, from v1 to five years from now (e.g. v3), we created road maps to guide us in creating the foundation for this visionary future product. The exercise answered the critical question: What’s important?
The system had three user types:
Each role had to process a varied amount of orders, which greatly impacted their use of the system.
Testing each type of user revealed different needs. These needs included:
From the research, workshops and stakeholder interviews I was able to create design principles. These were
Once the principles were established, I began to build the system. First, I began with basic flows and touchpoints for the process.
From there, I built low fidelity wireframes and combined them with flows (which I refer to as wire-flows) to capture what we needed
Finally, I built high fidelity wireframes and used them for a prototype.
This prototype was used for testing with users, then iterated upon to match stakeholder expectations. I then worked with a visual designer to hand off the final product to the stakeholders.
This project was considered a success because: