A software company that has a product in many US blood banks felt it was time to revive the design for their software. They wanted to make processing blood products much easier and faster for the users of their product. We were brought in to come up with a new design that they could implement that would achieve these goals.
When I was brought in, I first needed an understanding of the medical system. After an intense week of knowledge sharing, I had to dive in. We tested both virtually and in-person at the blood banks to get a sense of the physical space. What we tested were several concepts that radically altered how users would work. These concepts:
The feedback from these interviews was the basis for the remainder of the design work.
While mapping out the experience, we needed to have a focus on what was important to the client. This was particularly important as the client had a lot of internal political pressure and challenges. We captured the high level experience to ensure we were focused on the right experience.
The mobile experience did not need to be as detailed as the desktop. The interaction was about scanning blood products and getting them out the door. We created a prototype that expedited the experience.
Our final prototype captured the details of the experience. We built out how blood products could be prepared for patients, and how the users would navigate to find the information they needed.
We viewed this project a success because the client:
It was also a success because I had no trouble dealing with the bags of blood I had to observe.
The company was restructured as our deliverables were handed off. We really hope that this project is being rolled out.